Thursday, September 20, 2007

Mr. Hephelump and the Hideous Trunk

I asked my precious middle school students to write a monologue, including a setting, a character, and a conflict. They read them aloud the other day, and one particularly precious student sat in the chair with a preface: "okay y'all, so I'm an elephant, not a human." The monologue that followed cracked me up so hard but I had to use my best acting skills to hold my face solemn. None of the kids laughed or even had a glimmer of implication in their eyes--I was shocked at the innocence. They handed in their written drafts today. This is the monologue I am talking about:

Mr. Hephelump and the Hideous Trunk
Mr. Hephelump: I just don't understand! I have the perfect color, eyes, and ears, but my trunk is way too small. For example, you DeAngelo, your trunk is perfect (the right size). I bet you everyone looking at us thinks that I am atrocious. I wish there was some way I could make my trunk longer. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Please don't make fun of me DeAngelo. I will just have to face the fact that my trunk is so much smaller than everyone else's trunk. Boohoo! I will try not to cry. I will just try to hide as much as possible. That is what I'll do. Well, see you later DeAngelo.

No comments: